Kombucha Tea: The Health Elixer
by Rochelle Griffin
I wish I could say that I was introduced to Kombucha tea because I’m on a health kick. Well I am, but that’s not how it happened. Instead it was on account of our dog. Yep, it’s true.
Our 13 ½ year old Border Collie/Australian Shepherd, Dakota, was recently diagnosed with a splenic tumor during her routine annual exam. As a family, we spent an agonizing week trying to decide the best course of action due to her age & not knowing whether it’s benign or malignant.
After learning that many cancerous splenic tumors spread to the lung, we decided to have a chest x-ray to help our decision. Unfortunately a large tumor was found in her lung as well.
With that knowledge, Dakota’s age, and the fact that she’s having ZERO symptoms, we’ve opted to forgo surgery. Instead we found a holistic vet who has been coming to our house ever since…treating Dakota with acupuncture and nutrition, among other holistic modalities.
It was during one of the vet’s visits that we were introduced to Kombucha tea because she advised us to add it to Dakota’s food.
If you’re thinking “Kombucha what,” no worries…I did the same thing.
And then I started to research it.
I was amazed at what I discovered!
It’s a drink that has been around for over 2,000 years and has a history of many benefits, including preventing/fighting cancer, improving gut health, and helping with joint pain. Plus it can be made at home for pennies.
The wheels started turning in my head. So I can help our dog AND ourselves with this daily drink? Game ON!
I’ve since made 2 batches. Coming from someone who does NOT like to be in the kitchen at all, I’m here to tell you it’s darn right easy to make. Trust me, if I can do, you totally can.
1 gallon filtered water
4 tea bags (any brand)
1 cup sugar
1 SCOBE (Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria & Yeast. In our home, we lovingly refer to this as the “mother alien.” You can get one initially by Googling it online. Take good care of it and you can use it over and over. Plus each new batch with birth a “baby alien” that you can use.)
1 gallon glass jar or bowl
Several quart-size Mason jars
1. Bring 1 gallon of filtered water to a hard boil.
2. Add 4 tea bags and let boil for 5 min. Remove tea bags.
3. Remove from heat and mix in 1 cup sugar until dissolved. No worries about the sugar. It acts as food for the SCOBE. It will be gone (fermented) when you drink the tea.
4. Let tea cool to room temperature. This will take a few hours.
5. Put cooled tea in the 1 gallon glass jar.
6. Place the SCOBE on top of the tea. (Yes the SCOBE looks gross…hence the name we gave it of Mother Alien.)
7. Cover the top of the jar with cheesecloth (this lets it breath) and secure with a rubber band.
8. The day you make the tea counts as Day 1. Leave tea in a dark corner of the kitchen for 5 days total to ferment.
9. On Day 5, remove the SCOBE from the tea and cover it with ½ cup of the tea. This will act as the starter for your next batch. If you aren’t going to make another batch right away, put the SCOBE and ½ cup of tea in a big freezer bag and leave on the counter out of the way of sunlight.
10. Add approx. 2 ½ oz of pulp free fruit juice of your choice into each of the quart-size jar. Then add the tea and fill up the jar, leaving a little breathing room at the top. Close jar and leave for another 48 hours in a dark corner to ferment.
11. After 48 hours, put jars in the fridge and completely chill. Do NOT shake or mix.
12. Enjoy a daily 8 oz glass of Kombucha tea with tons of probiotics and health properties!
I’ll be honest. It did take some time to get used to handling the “mother alien” but the benefits far outweigh the ick factor. Besides my kid thinks it’s way cool that we have aliens in our home.
Because we live in a world full of dietary stress, I encourage you to give this easy tea a try and add it as a staple to your daily meal plan. Not only is it good for you and your family, turns out it’s good for your dogs as well. Win-win all around. 🙂
To Living Your Best Life,
Rochelle Griffin, RN BSN FDN-P
Rochelle Griffin, The Wellness Detective™, is a Registered Nurse (with over 22 years experience) & a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition™ Practitioner who has transitioned her love for fitness, health, & freedom into a 7-figure International company that now helps others live Their Best Life.
She founded Your Best Life, Inc with her husband Keith after stepping onto the edge of physical ruin with her health & the health of their young son. Having experienced a complete turn-around, they now desire to give hope & support to those who are dissatisfied with their current situation.
PS. If you found this post to be of any value to you, please COMMENT below!